Top Tips For A Weekend in Myrtle Beach Travel Guide:
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is a prominent vacation spot for many travelers! With its gorgeous beaches, warm weather, and vibrant nightlife; a weekend in Myrtle Beach is sure to not disappoint! For us mid-westerners, Myrtle Beach was nothing short of a 15 hour drive. With but a weekend to spare between previous engagements, it was essential we made the most of our time there. Thus, our Weekend in Myrtle Beach Travel Guide was born! Read on for the best things to do in a weekend Myrtle Beach Edition:
1. Lounge by the Ocean, of course!
First on our list for a Weekend in Myrtle Beach Travel Guide was OF COURSE to lounge by the ocean on the beautiful beach. In early May our lovely state of Michigan was still quite brisk, so the warm 75+ degrees Fahrenheit was a warm welcome to us mid-westerners. Don’t miss out on Myrtle Beach’s beautiful coastline of the Atlantic!
2. Have a Spa Day
One thing we learned immediately early upon arrival for our Weekend in Myrtle Beach Travel Guide is that the weather can be un-predictable! We woke one morning to a thunderstorm, and made the most of it by booking a couples massage! In certain Myrtle Beach fashion, the storm had passed completely and gave way to sunny skies by the time we were finished. Plan ahead for the chance of inclement weather during your weekend in Myrtle Beach and plan something indoors for at least a few hours one of the days.
3. Enjoy Resort Amenities
Many resorts offer great amenities in Myrtle Beach, and we’re all about saving a buck! Get the most out of your booking price and use the resort amenities to their fullest! Our hotel had many outdoor pools and spas to choose from, but we saw many others with full scale waterparks for the kiddos! Be sure to research each resort for your weekend in Myrtle Beach ahead of time! Pay close attention to their added amenities and plan accordingly.
Great resort options for a Weekend in Myrtle Beach Travel Guide:
- Holiday Sands North “On the Boardwalk”: Located on the boardwalk so great for walkability, beachfront, 4 swimming pools & on-site cafe
- Hilton Grand Vacations Club Ocean Enclave Myrtle Beach: 5 minute walk from boardwalk, beachfront, fantastic resort amenities/pools, on-site bar, beautiful ocean views from the resort
- Courtyard by Marriott Myrtle Beach Oceanfront: great affordable option, still close to boardwalk, oceanfront, breakfast and bar on-site
- Camelot by the Sea: Beachfront, GREAT for families with indoor kids pool/water park and lazy river, and on-site Dunkin Donuts
Book your weekend in Myrtle Beach through any of the links above for a GREAT Rate! More resort options below:
4. Make the Most of Your Weekend in Myrtle Beach and Book a Tour or Outdoor Experience
Myrtle Beach has NO shortage of outdoor activities to choose from! From helicopter tours, to parasailing, or riverboat cruises – there’s something for everyone when looking for things to do in a weekend in Myrtle Beach! We went with parasailing during our weekend trip and even got to take this awesome raft ride on our way out to the boat.
We booked through “Downwind Sails Watersports” and it was SO easy and efficient. Meeting them at a tent on the beach was a breeze (they have two locations, we just chose the one closest to our resort), got us signed up, and off we went!
Book With Downwind Here
More Top Rated Things to Do in a Weekend in Myrtle Beach:
- Myrtle Beach Scenic Riverboat Cruise: 1.5 Hours, tour along the Intracoastal Waterway, outdoor deck, drinks available for purchase
- Ghosts and Pirates Haunted City Walking Tour: 1 Hour long, guide tells tales of monsters, death, and restless spirits in Myrtle on this haunted walking tour
- Surf Lessons in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina: 2 Hours, covers the basics both in and out of the water from a professional surf instructor
- Guided Myrtle Beach Kayak Tour: 2 Hours, led by professional kayak guide, choose sunrise or sunset tour. Leads through the calm waters of Murrells Inlet, which teems with wildlife
Select any of the links for fantastic pricing on booking during your weekend in Myrtle Beach!
5. Enjoy the Local Food
One thing we love to do at each new location we visit is ask the locals THEIR favorite place to eat. (Usually our taxi driver or front-desk hotel reception) This time around we were recommended Joe’s Bar & Grill and it did NOT disappoint. Wherever you end up, try the local food. While looking for things to do in a weekend in Myrtle Beach, you can’t go wrong with dining at the local restaurants and having some fresh fish and mussels! (You are right on the ocean, after all)
6. Walk the Boardwalk/Promenade
The boardwalk was the highlight of our “things to do in a weekend in Myrtle Beach” – so much so that I forgot to even get a good picture! Filled with shops, boutiques, game rooms, and many bars/restaurants; it was a blast to experience. You can easily spend a full day meandering around, and best of all: it follows along the coastline. So bring a beach bag and jump in the water whenever you’ve had your fill! Beware, it gets EXTREMELY busy in the later hours.
7. Ride the Skywheel and Get the Best Views!
The Skywheel is assessable by the boardwalk and offers INCREDIBLE views of the ocean and city. Cool off in their air-conditioned seats and enjoy the panoramic view. Don’t overpay for your ticket by purchasing day of at the box office. When we visited the lines were long AND it was more expensive at the box office. Always buy your Skywheel ticket ahead of time through their website below!
Book Tickets Now
8. Enjoy the Nightlife & Catch a Live Show
The boardwalk comes to life at night! With many bar and restaurant options along the boardwalk, there are SO many things to do once the sun goes down. Like I said, beware how busy it gets and be sure to have a way to get back to your resort!
Our favorites for our Weekend in Myrtle Beach Travel Guide: 8th Ave Tiki Bar & Hurricanes: Both offered great drink options and not too long of a wait to get in. Enjoy the tropical drinks in true vacation fashion!
Make sure to catch a live show on Friday & Saturday nights; they DON’T disappoint! Toggle below to see some upcoming options:
9. Tour the Local Museums
Also along the boardwalk, (see why this place is great? We love a great walkable city), are several local museums! We toured both Ripleys Believe It or Not and the Hollywood Wax Museum. Both were awesome and a great way to beat the hot South Carolina heat in the mid-day sun. Save a buck or two and purchase the “All Access” pass to gain access to not only the Wax Museum but also the Maze of Mirrors and the Dread the Undead attraction.
10. Stop by “I Love Sugar” to Get Your Sweet Fix!
While on vacation EVERYONE deserves to indulge a bit. Our stop into “I Love Sugar” along the boardwalk proved to be one of our most expensive stops. Be blown away by their expansive options, and the ice cold AC on a blistering hot day helped too!
“A Weekend in Myrtle Beach Travel Guide” Highlights & FAQs
- Plan inside activities such as spa experiences, utilizing resort amenities, and shopping locales to make the most of your stay even in inclimate weather
- Book an outdoorsy experience to make the most of the sunny weather when you have it!
- ALWAYS book ahead! Book tickets, excursions, and other attractions ahead of time to save the most money
Love it? Pin It!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through one of my links on this page, at no cost to you! Happy Shopping!