On the southern shore of the Detroit River, Windsor, Ontario, is a city bursting with culture, history, and vibrant energy. If you find yourself wondering, “What to do in Windsor Ontario?” look no further than our complete travel guide! In this guide, we’ll explore some of the top activities and best places to stay that will make your visit to this charming city unforgettable.
Things to do in Windsor Ontario: Explore the Windsor Riverfront
Start your adventure by strolling along the Windsor Riverfront, offering breathtaking views of the Detroit skyline. The paved pathways, parks, and sculptures create a serene atmosphere for a leisurely walk or bike ride. Consider visiting Dieppe Gardens for a peaceful escape with beautifully manicured greenery.
Tour a Local Distillery
Windsor, Ontario was the birthplace of Canadian Whiskey. So, it is fitting that within this city you’ll find one of the largest whiskey distilleries! Established in 1857, J.P. Wiser Distillery has been distilling whiskey before Canada was even established as Canada. What to do in Windsor Ontario? Tour this distillery and learn how to distill and barrel whiskey; from grain to glass! Enjoy free samples of their award-winning booze at the end of each tour. But beware! They are only open on weekends from 12:00pm – 5:00pm, so make sure you plan accordingly.
Test Your Luck Caesars Windsor Casino
Whether you’re feeling a little lucky or just want to have some fun with friends; the Caesars Casino and Hotel in Windsor is a fantastic location! Complete with six full restaurants and two floors of casino slots and tables, what’s not to like?
Catch a Live Show at Caesars
Top of our list for things to do in Windsor Ontario? Catch a live show at Caesars Windsor Casino! If gambling isn’t your thing, stop by this stunning resort for a show instead! Be sure to check out their website before your trip for a full list of shows in Windsor. See full list of upcoming shows here. If a live show isn’t your ideal for a night out in Windsor, check out other out-of-the-box options for things to do in Windsor Ontario below:
Things to do in Windsor Ontario: Shopping in Downtown Walkerville
Downtown Walkerville, a neighborhood within Windsor, offers an abundance of unique shopping locations. Whether you’re looking for odds and ends items, one of kind clothing, or simple antiques; check out Wyandotte Street in Walkerville!
Take a Walk through Olde Walkerville
Next up when looking for things to do in Windsor Ontario, be sure to take a stop through Olde Walkerville! Immerse yourself in history by wandering through Olde Walkerville, known for its historic architecture and charming streets. Stop by the Canadian Club Brand Center to learn about the city’s prohibition-era past and its ties to the famous Canadian Club whiskey.
Indulge in Windsor’s Culinary Scene
From classic Canadian dishes to international cuisine, the city offers a plethora of dining options. Explore the culinary delights of the Via Italia district or visit the trendy Walkerville neighborhood for unique food experiences.
- A Dog’s Breakfast – Located on Pelissier Street in downtown Windsor, A Dog’s Breakfast was certainly a one of kind. From the eclectic and modern décor to their garage door wall; this one struck our interest immediately. If you’re looking for a wholesome and authentic breakfast, a spiked whiskey coffee, or fresh baked treats; this is your place.
- The Victoria Tavern – “The Old Vic” Originally established in 1897, The Old Victoria Tavern was the central hub for rum-runners during the time of prohibition. The old-fashioned décor and authentic sign on the outside labelled “Ladies & Escorts” introduces a time before women were allowed to enter a bar unaccompanied.
Have a Beer at Walkerville Brewery
Being a Grand Rapids native, I like to think I know quite a bit about craft beers! However, don’t fool yourself into thinking Canadian craft beers are the same! Walkerville Brewery introduced us to a whole new animal when taming craft beers. Steer away from the traditional hop flavor and try something on the smoother side at Walkeville Brewery. Make sure you add this to your itinerary and snag a growler to take home, because their beer is ONLY served in Canada!
Visit the Art Gallery of Windsor
For art enthusiasts, the Art Gallery of Windsor is a must-visit. Featuring an impressive collection of Canadian and contemporary art, the gallery showcases the region’s creative spirit. Rotating exhibits ensure there’s always something new to discover. Be sure to check out their website for their latest exhibit!
Top Places to Stay During Your Trip to Windsor Ontario:
- Caesars Windsor Hotel: The casino doubles as a hotel and we booked a stay in the King Suite for only $87.00! The U.S. dollar is worth more in Canada, so just keep an eye on the exchange rates and this hotel remains surprisingly affordable!
- A Hidden Gem Bed & Breakfast: A quaint B&B with included breakfast, a sun terrace, and garden views. Downtown Windsor location with great walkability!
- Ye Olde Walkerville Bed & Breakfast: Adults Only B&B with spa bath. Located in Walkerville area and breakfast options are available.
- Explore more options for your stay below:
Windsor, Ontario, may be an underrated gem, but it certainly has a lot to offer. Whether you’re interested in exploring the city’s rich history, indulging in diverse culinary experiences, or trying your luck at the casino, Windsor has something for everyone. With a range of accommodation options, including luxurious hotels and cozy Bed & Breakfasts, your visit to Windsor is bound to be an unforgettable experience. So, the next time you find yourself wondering, “What to do in Windsor, Ontario?” refer to this guide and embark on a journey of discovery in this charming Canadian city.
Windsor, Ontario FAQ’s
- Do You Need a Passport to Access Windsor? If you’re coming from the USA, yes you will need a passport. However, the enhanced drivers license will suffice if accessing Windsor by land.
- Is Windsor Expensive? We found Windsor to be relatively affordable. It was comparable to other cities in the Midwest. As always, book accommodation and tours ahead of time for the best rate!
- Do I Need to Exchange My US Currency? Windsor is located in Ontario, thus the main form of currency is the Canadian Dollar. While you can exchange currency at an ATM, beware of hidden fees. Explore here, for a full list of locations to exchange currency in Windsor.
Love it? Pin it!
Don’t forget to shop our online store for all our travel essentials for your trip to Windsor, Ontario!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through one of my links on this page, at no cost to you! Happy Shopping!